Monday, May 02, 2005

Chick-a-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee

All that rain the past couple days has made for a lovely green Monday, hasn't it? It makes the outdoors so much more pleasing to the eye when you have a nice hearty green against a nice hearty sky blue to look at. I really love my yard at home here in Stratford. It's large enough to host a variety of sports, but not too large that there is no one around for miles. Plus it is surrounded by forest on two sides. This makes my yard even more enjoyable because we get plenty of visits from our neighborhood wildlife creatures.

We get foxes, skunks, racoons, and LOTS of birds crossing through out yard daily. The birds are my favorite. Ever since I was a kid I was always fascinated by birds. So fascinated I even had a club for it. However, I am sure I had a club for every activity I did back in those days. I called it the "Bird Watcher's Patrol." I remember attempting to get all my friends to join my club, but I really only had one faithful member, and that was my one-subdivision-over-friend, Lisa MacLeod. Together we had created an outline of our plans as President and Vice-president of the Bird Wacther's Patrol, which basically consisted of us watching birds. It was really fun though. I still have the book we used to look up the birds we found so we could identify them. Familiar Birds of Prince Edward Island by Geoff Hogan. Once I found a nest in one of the old forts I made in the forest and dressed in green everyday and would lay on the ground and watch the birds everyday. It was a family of Cedar Waxwings. When the mother would leave to find food, I'd climb the tree and look at the babies. I watched them everyday until they flew away.

Anywho, what reminded of me of my little bird friends is my bird feeder I have hanging up outside our kitchen window. I was watching it this morning while eating my Mini-Wheats. It was being raided by blue jays! Now don't get me wrong, I like blue jays, but this bird feeder is made for small song birds. And so far I have only observed a chickadee, the rest have been blue jays. And being the bullies that they are, I fear that the blue jays are scaring away the song birds from this feeder. The only solution I can think of so far is to set up a larger feeder for the bigger birds and hope that they will use that one instead.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you need to go one step further in regards to the blue jay bully problem: some type of church-of-latter-day-saints-esque commercial that shows the bluejays the error of their ways, and the joy of working together and sharing. and then while they're distracted watching the commercial, sneak up on them with a tennis racket and serve an ace. ps. may i be the treasurer of the BWP?
signed,
lennie

3:22 p.m.  
Blogger Moore Malthus Edison said...

I was thinking that you should invest in a rocking chair and a wicker broom and a knit poncho. Don't give into the B-J's! You could even yell "Bee Jays steal seed!" Get it? B-J is short for blue jays. Wicked.

4:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home