Thursday, July 28, 2005

Brat Camp

In all my years I've never been a real hardcore TV watcher. I mean there was Mr. Dressup and Sesame Street, Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters, but that was pretty much it considering we never got cable until I was in grade 9. Even after we got cable my TV habits didn't change too much. THEN we got sattelite TV. I thought it would be the end of all socializing, but in all honestly, I never use it unless I'm sick and can't move.

So what I'm trying to get to here is, is that there has been atleast one show on TV that I enjoy so much that I must see it on it's weekly basis. I've went through Survior, Law & Order, The Joe Schmo Show. This past year I was hooked to the 6 pilot episodes of Grey's Anatomy that were on Sunday nights. And when summer came, they came to a halt, leaving us to wait for September.

So with nothing to look forward to on television over the summer, countless episodes of Futurama and Family Guy have been watched. All until 3 weeks ago. When the greatest, most touching reality show began on Wednesday nights. Brat Camp. You see the commercials for it and it seems to be a behind-the-scenes of where Sally Jesse Rapheal sent her "Teen Terrors."

They took 9 troubled teens (labelling them such things as "angry punk", "compulsive liar", and "tried to stab his twin") and sent them unexpectedly to Sage Walk camp where they endure at least 40 days of living in the Oregon desert in extreme fall/winter conditions. There are counsellors there who are experts at outdoor survival, and all have "Earth names" like Fire Shaper and Mountain Wind. They are also highly trained in dealing with kids such as these. There's lots of crying, cussing, and hissy fits, but the program is set out to make these kids feel better and more secure about them selves and to work out their problems through encouraging tasks and sessions with therapists. For example, making fire, repelling down cliffs, hiking 8 miles in a snow blizzard. It honestly is such a great show with a great purpose. It doesn't result in winning money, a new husband, or becoming a Hilton, just making a positive difference in a kids life. Sappy I know....but's it's sooo friggin great! You really need to watch it and it will give the happiest gushy feeling in your belly and leaves you so anxious as to who will be the first to graduate from Sage Walk.

Wednesday Nights. 10pm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

i forgot to watch it last night
:(

1:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home