Tuesday, December 06, 2005

It's So Nice, I Wanna Hear The Same Song Twice

You know what's fun? And ever-so exciting? Getting real mail. You know that white floppy stuff that has strange markings on it? Yeah..mail. It's a dying form. I was always so excited to get real mail, even as a kid. Something with my own name on it. Or as it always said "Ms. Ashley Dunsford." That always made me feel important. Even if it was a Chickadee magazine. Or a fakely autographed thank you letter from Doug Gilmore and Felix Potvin. I'm pretty sure I even wrote a letter to Will Smith back in the day telling him how I had a dream that we were best friends and that we should be in real life. He never responded. Fresh Prince my ass.

For a few of my elementary school years, my best friend lived across the country. And we wrote to each other like mad all the time. Ooh the thrill! I've had a pen pal before and continue to order catologues online just to get mail. Ikea will send them ASAP. Mountain Equipment Co-Op...I'm still waiting. J.Crew will send you one every season for a year. Haha, and have I ever ordered from a catologue? Nope.

One great thing this Internet has done for people who enjoy real mail, is you can get parcels. By shopping online. This is the most splendid form of mail in the world. The box of unknown. Even though you've ordered it, you're still slighty unsure, about 99.7% sure that it is what you ordered. I mean it could be from someone else, you never know. The box is brown and not transparent, covered in stickers, and usually comes in a shape you would never expect your item of purchase to look like. And then opening it. You bend your fingernails back, almost slice your finger with a knife, lose a tooth, maybe an eye, but gosh dang you've got it!

What made me think of this is that the doorbell rang today at the apartment and it was a parcel for Christopher. He wasn't home so I got to sign for it! Then I told him a package came for him and asked if I could open it. God, I'm such a hog. He knew it was his iPod. I wasn't so sure that it was. But it was. Trickery!

2 Comments:

Blogger - said...

During my teen years, when I was addicted to VOGUE, I would flip through it and call ALL of the 1-800 numbers and order catalogues. I too loved getting mail and the catalogues were an escape.

As I got older and moved out of home, mail was still equally as exciting. If I had a roommate, then I wanted to have the mail key. It was just so exciting. As time went on, I started to let go of this excitment as you got your bills through the mail. If I did not have to check the mail, then I did not have to know that there were bills coming in! Love it!

1:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loves It!

7:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home