Thursday, May 19, 2005

Never Trust the Blackbird


I figure any of you who read my blog have been DYING to know the further situation of my birdfeeder troubles. I knew you were.

Well that really super sunshiney day we had last week, I put up another birdfeeder, a larger one to accomadate the larger birds. I placed it on a tree far enough away from the smaller one to prevent any outbreaks of avian war, and all seemed to go well. I had lots more chickadees and a lot less blue jays.

So the other day I'm sitting at my living room window and I see some sort of commotion from the corner of my eye. I look at the newly hung birdfeeder and witness a riot of Common Grackles liotering around this new feeder. Now I don't mind the grackels, they deserve a treat just as much as any of the other birds, but they were TOTALLY abusing their bird feeding privaleges. This is what they were doing: One grackle, I'm assuming the mastermind behind this whole operation, was perched at the bird feeder, with between 4-8 other grackles waiting underneath the feeder. The one at the feeder was removing all the seed and throwing it to all his companions on the ground! Can you believe the nerve of these guys! Of course the one at the feeder would take little breaks and feed himself, but was soon back at throwing the rest of the seed on the ground.

Not three days later, the feeder was empty. It remains empty right now because I'm debating whether or not to fill it up. I feel used. These grackles need a little lesson I think. Some more strategic planning must go into this, so any tips will be appreciated. Grackles:1. Ashley:0. But not for long.

Let the games begin.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Fleming said...

Call Steve Irwin. He'll know what to do.

"Crikey, we've got a common grackle! Now, if I get too close the mother will attack me, but I really want to make out with a baby grackle, so I'll just put on this protective tilley hat and hold my baby in front of me for protection."

3:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home