Thursday, November 02, 2006

Itty Bitty Pretty One

Now it's not often (in fact it is never) that I write about politics or controversial issues in general. But the feedback I am hearing on CBC's The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti ( I love saying her name) is just inappropriate and disgusting. Christopher has been ranting on this for years now, and I've always agreed with him, but my blood was boiling and I had to write something.

The earlier radio piece was about the controversy surrounding Belinda Stronach's position in the government and her personal life. What got to me was the callers who called in their own opinions. Fine, it's your opinion but it still makes me gag to think that people are willing to think this way when a cut-throat, takes-no-shit, woman enters politics. This one man calls in and blatantly calls Belinda "a bitch! She is just a downright bitch! I mean the way she dumped Peter MacKay like that!" Another WOMAN calls in and says "It doesn't show much if you can't maintain a marriage and your own love life."

I stormed out of my room to the kitchen where the radio sound was coming from and yelled at it! My Dad was sitting there a little shocked that I came out of my calm, morning disposition to yell at the people on the radio. But then he backed me up. Since when does someone's personal life matter as to how they do their job? Oh right, it doesn't. Unless your a woman. I mean, I don't know all the nitty gritty details of today's politics, but I know what's going on. And I have never been aware of the love life of any other leader other than Belinda, only because no one's ever brought it up. Wake up people, who doesn't have a fucked up love life and since when have we been judging politics and the job they are doing on who they've slept with or who they dumped? We can do without the gossip. And frankly I don't give a shit.

As for those two people who called in to CBC to spread their wisdom and understanding to the nation: you can go to hell. Oh and special thanks to the lady who called and reminded all of us women that our relationships with men are our number one priority in life. One big step for woman-kind...

6 Comments:

Blogger - said...

Thank you Ashley! You are absolutely correct. Once again, no one every brings up Bill Graham's personal life which no doubt would be rather controversial if the public knew. She is targeted because she is a woman. THAT is the bottom line.

10:51 a.m.  
Blogger jnelle said...

well written, and agree'd. some people just have nothing better in their lives than to busy themselves with OTHERs love lifes. i also could care less if peter mckay DID call belinda a dog, hey, thats between them ;)

do your job, do it well, who cares who you fuck, see ya in hell

3:07 p.m.  
Blogger S said...

ugh. come to Asia.
1) 80% of women have had plastic surgery

2) Woman aren't ALLOWED to smoke in PUBLIC. Its bad for the babies that you MUST have. And smoking is for the men...ALL korean men smoke... in public.

3) Its the norm to be hired by your picture...ugly women do not get good jobs

4). Women in business are fired once they are married.

I could go on, but you get the gist.

6:55 a.m.  
Blogger Luke said...

a similar type of conversation happened to be brought up in my extended family (I should note that I was not there and know about it because of a follow up conversation with my cousin). Apprently some of the eldest members of the family were hesitant to do business with a guy becuase he had cheated on his wife. I was definatly not happy, noting to difference between a public and private life. However here is an example of it working the other way...only in Saskatoon

8:52 a.m.  
Blogger Tim Gormley said...

I wish I had heard that on the radio this morning. What is wrong with people. Boo hoo, she made Peter Mackay cry, it has nothing to do with her ability to fulfill her job. The most I can say about her personal breakup with Mackay is..."well, that's too bad...they were optically efficient(easy to look at)". Ha ha. Ahh, how shallow of me.

At any rate, I don't know her but she seems like a damned capable human being to me.

2:45 p.m.  
Blogger Tay said...

Well said, Ash!

2:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home