Sunday, October 31, 2004

It Was A Graveyard Smash

Halloween. My favorite holiday. I get so excited for it every year. A chance to dress up as something different, fun, out of character. This year was the first year that I did not get to celebrate Halloween to it's true rowdyness because I had to work for the Halloween Pub at the Wave. Not that I am disappointed, but it was a change seeing the madness through sober eyes.

I can remember the last 3 years of Halloween Pubs at UPEI. 1st year I was Batman. Complete with the black and yellow underwear over my pants. 2nd year I was Sgt. John McLaine (Bruce Willis) from the Die Hard movies. The only way people knew who I was, was if I said "Yipee Kai-yay mother fucker." Then 3rd year I was LeeLoo from "The Fifth Element."

During these 3 years of Halloween Pub experience, I remember the lengths some people went to have an original, crazy costume. For example, there was a guy one year who came as a bed. With a real matress frame so that when he turned around he take out a good 3 foot radius of drunk people around him. Then there was a Volkswagon Van I vaguely remember and a rocket ship. For some reason I found this year people stayed pretty tame with there costumes. A lot of pirates, skanky cops, naughty nurses, supermen, angels, army people, etc.

If I was giving out awards, first place would go to the group of guys who came as all the characters from MarioKart. They even had little carts to hang around their bodies. It was beautiful.

My 2nd place award would be a tie. Jill MacDonald was a fabulous 80's hairdresser. It was perfect. She even had the Joico plastic smock. The other would be Ms. Janette Gallant. Sporting the Heart of the Ocean and a french accent, she was none other than Celine Dion.

The whole event didn't go over too smoothly and there were a lot of frusterated drunks but it seemed as though many people enjoyed themselves. Working the coat check I had a front row view of all the action. After clean up and finding a passed out Ninja Turtle in the male washroom, we ordered pizza and had some beers as we all exchanged stories of the evening. I made it home by 4:15am (but was technically 3:15 beacuse of the time change) and slept till 1am.

Now I sit, in front of the computer, with a candy apple, knowing that I should be studying Shakespeare. So on that note, I bid you all a happy Halloween and a good November.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janette said...

Hmm... I think by the end of the night any attempts at a French accent ended up sounding more like a midwestern hick, but what the hell... Celine transcends all cultures.
I have pictures. They're beautiful.

9:45 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, I was hot...

Breck

1:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home