Monday, March 14, 2005

How Sweet It Is

I am working on a 15 page dietary assessment I have to do for my nutrition class in which I had to record what I ate for 3 consecutive days. Doing this assignment, I realized how much I LOVE to eat sugar.

Ever since I can remember, I've always had a huge sweet tooth. At my grandparent's house the rule was that you wouldn't get dessert if you left the table after dinner. I still to this day, never budge from my chair even if Mom wants me to help with the dishes. I know better than that. Also when I was a kid and I wanted "alone" time, I'd grab the sugar bowl from the cupboard and hide behind the couch, lick my finger and dip. Sugar and nothin' but. We live just up the street from a corner store which made candy very accessible all through my childhood. So there were many days where me and brother used to search the house top and bottom until we each found 50 pennies. Then we'd lie to Mom and tell her we were "going outside to play" with devilish grins on our faces. I'm sure the cashiers at the store dreaded the days we went down, "Aah dang here come those Dunsford kids with their pennies again!" And not only was it fifty pennies to be counted but we were the kids who wanted, "one of those and one of those, 2 of those, etc." Oh the excitement of sneaking away to get candy.

Then as I got older and started to have my own allowance, I would purchase, almost everyday at the corner store mentioned above, 2 whole dollars of 5 cent candies. If you're any good at math you may figure out that it equals 40 candies. That's a lot of candy for a growing girl. But for someone who played street hockey, dodgeball, and TV initials everyday in the front yard, needed a good source of glucose.

These days my sweet tooth is still as active as always and I almost never turn down candy or dessert. Recently I indulged in some sort of brownie invention at Timothy's Coffee Shop. It has been the best dessert I've had in a very long time. I suggest trying it if you ever get the chance. Cheesecake is another dessert I can't refuse. Dad makes a phenomenal New York Cheesecake and we have some good ones at Pizza Delight.

The most beautiful part of all this, and I have been a lucky one, is that I didn't recieve my first cavity until I was 19 years old. I am the proud owner of 2 cavities now and have been cleared for another cavity-free year. So the lesson in all this my friends is to drink your milk and brush your teeth. And if you really want to impress me, keep Mini Eggs in your pocket at all times.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh yes..sweet tooth, those Revs hit the spot!
tasha

8:57 p.m.  
Blogger Luke said...

Hehehe oh the memories. I know I purchased your two dollar bag of candy for you, on more than one occasion. I have you beat this time. I did not receive my first cavity until age twenty, and I still only had the one!AHAHA
I can just see people walking around with mini eggs in their pocking, syaing things like "hey ash do a backflip!" then tossing you an egg.

9:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home