Wednesday, March 22, 2006

These Apples are Delicious

Breakfast.

The meal of champions. I rant and rave about breakfast. Almost everyday. Just to myself. I've posted about cereal, and about toast, but I would like to declare my love for breakfast foods. I love breakfast foods. Not only the food itself though, it's the feeling of eating those certain foods at that particular time of day. Right after you wake up. I'm not sure about the rest of y'all, but eating breakfast is the first thing on my mind when I get up in the morning. Even if I sleep in till noon. Your body is just awakening, your cells start pumping and metabolizing, ready for the first meal of the day. Ooh baby.

I like to mix up my breakfasts as each day goes by. So I am always prepared for any morning craving I might have. I usually have between 2-3 types of cereal, Cream of Wheat, grapefruit, eggs, breakfast meat, oatmeal, yogurt and bread readily available at all times. McDonald's breakfasts are rare, but treasured, occasions.

Time is an important factor when it comes to choosing your breakfast. If you have no where to be at no particular time, one should make themselves a breakfastpalooza. Go all out. Make 3 eggs, toast, cereal, stuff yourself silly. If you are late waking up and need a quick fix before darting out the door, then your options are much more limited. Toast or bagels are the easiest and most efficient. Oh and cream cheese...droooool. I'll dedicate a post to cream cheese later on. But yes, toast and bagels you can take with you. You can eat them in the car, would you could you in the car? Eat them! Eat them! Here they are! On the bus, or on the walk to wherever you happen to be going. So smart them breads are, eh wha?

I'd also like to point out something that seems to be overlooked, perhaps ignored. Dessert for breakfast, or after breakfast. It's uncommon, maybe because breakfast foods tend to be more sugary, fruitier, et cetera. But one should never neglect the possibilty of having a little sweetness for or after breakfast. If there is cake or cookies conveniently accessible, do not pass up the opportunity. After our birthday parties, Mom would feed us the left over cake for breakfast the next day. Maybe it was because she didn't want to make dozens of pancakes for a packful of girlies. That suited us just fine. Candy (like Nibs or Sour Patch Kids) makes for a wonderful start to the day as well. And can also quickly rid you from that terrible morning taste in your mouth.

Breakfast is fun to eat at any time of the day. Somedays I eat a standard breakfast meal for supper, or as a midnight snack. It feels like the day is starting all over again. So eat your Wheaties kids, and treat yourselves to some dessert in the A.M.

6 Comments:

Blogger - said...

Breakfast is a lovely meal indeed. If you eat properly, it can propel you forward for the entire day.

That said, I really don't like the sound of breakfast meat. GROSS! It sounds like CAM or something of the sort.

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger Nancy said...

okay this is really creepy. i was thinking about making a post about my love of breakfast foods just yesterday.

did you read my mind? do you have super powers?

2:14 p.m.  
Blogger Ash D said...

well I was hoping you weren't going to find out nancy. but yes, i can read minds. i also have super powers but i can not yet indulge those upon the public.

7:08 p.m.  
Blogger Nancy said...

well. now i know how you get all the answers to the saturday crossword.

you read them from my mind.

10:48 p.m.  
Blogger Tim Gormley said...

I KNEW you had super powers. Something tipped me off the other day after Beanz when you crossed the street and picked up that car instead of walking around it. I'm not sure what the tip off was, but it will definately come to me.

Ahhh yes. Breakfast. There are so many wonderful options. Recently, I have become rather fond of oatmeal, with yogurt and blueberries...honey is optional. My friend Nicole introduced me to this delicious feast. It's so warm, so filling...and it "sticks to your ribs". Sorry, had to get a Wilfred Brimley reference in there. I'm not sure if Wilfred's assertion that oatmeal 'sticks to your ribs' actually sold more Quaker Oats, seems like a rather disturbing thought to me.

Oh well. I'm off to have a late breakfast myself.

10:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are those who adhere to the belief that for an hour or two after we wake our bodies are still processing our foods and wastes from the previous night. This period being most important for detoxification. Simple foods or drinks that require little effort on our bodies' part to process are ideal. Water is a must. Fruit works quite nicely as they are generally quite nutritive and very easily digested. Fruit juice as well, though a sugar spike will likely occur unless it is diluted or say, more "whole" like orange juice with pulp or a hearty apple juice. I find this works quite well with my body, and keeps illnesses at a minimum. And when you dig into that meal, your set. If one is quite active in the morning, say running or performing manual labour at work, then this does change. In this case I find a hearty oatmeal sets me well. And if I've got a serious day of labour ahead of me I will opt for meal of eggs. The key here is eating when your body really needs it. How do you know? Test it out, try going hungry for a bit in the morning. Learn to know your glycogen levels.

10:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home