Friday, November 17, 2006

I Just Made Halifax Yesterday

Usually it's Moncton and back in a day. But yesterday we made it Halifax. My brother was flying out of Hali to go to the Promised Land, and I was the dropper-offer. We left at 9am, picked up Breck, made the ritualistic pit-stop at the North River Road Timmy's and we were on our way.

Ian drove on the way, Breck slept, and I knitted and sang along to the tunes. Periodically making sure, of course, that Breck was still alive by poking my knitting needles up his nose. Yep, still alive. Then came the classic Stretch-and-Snack at the Aulac Big Stop. We all headed for the bathrooms and this is where one of the highlights of trip was located. They have these CRAZY hand dryers in the bathrooms. Like super loud, and the air pressure was so fast and strong coming out, it pushed the fat around on your hands! And I didn't even think one could have hand fat. They dried your hand in 10 seconds. And none of that resorting to wiping it on your pants because it takes too damn long to dry business. Top O' the Line.

Halifax was also a trip I have been planning on taking anyways, because I needed to visit the friendly neighborhood Mountain Equipment Co-op. So after making it into the city and locating MEC no problem we congratulated Ian on "real driving." That is driving into unfamiliar territory and arriving exactly at your destination with no wrong turns. Anywho, we bombed into MEC and I finally got my backpack (MEC Ibex 65 if you're innarrested) and some comfy Merrels, and a few other little gadgets. Je loves the MEC.

Off to the airport to drop of the brother. I wished him luck and not to do hard drugs and sleep with hookers. Good sisterly advice I thought. Then Breck and I drove back into the city, where I got to do some "real driving." We were starved, and ate this very neat little place called the Wooden Monkey. All organic and locally grown food. And by Golly, was it marvelous. We ate at a table made out of a Hurricane Juan tree and the food was excellent and very creative. And very reasonably priced as well. Then went for a short stroll down Barrington to visit the Freak Lunch Box. It smells of pure sugar and it was great. However I was disappointed they did not have the bubblegum that used to come in a toothpaste tube. Tsk.

Off to the MicMac. I had almost completely impressed my passenger with my internal GPS, by finding the Mall via a completely different direction than I have ever taken. And I could see the mall, but couldn't find the entrance. Oh so close. So we browsed the mall, picked up some wardrobe pieces (and Tasha, I just may have purchased a large quantity of a certain vanilla product we've been searching for), and we headed back to Ye Fair Isle.

The end.

8 Comments:

Blogger jnelle said...

aww, i miss halifax! the Wooden Monkey sounds delish! i love monkeys. hah. FREAK LUNCH BOX OWNS ME.
where is your brother going? out west here? is THIS the promised land?

11:13 a.m.  
Blogger Ash D said...

Yes it was quite delish. Breck got a monkey burger. Made of of free-range monkeys. Teehee!

Yeah Ian flew into Edmonton, then going to Calgary for job interviews and such. He's going to do the seismic stuff I think.

11:17 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't Merrell's exclusively lesbian shoes?

2:21 p.m.  
Blogger Luke said...

WHAT! Ian flew out west without stopping by the slums of the promised land(that being sask)? Well i'm not surprised. I must say i'm deeply impressed that your making a stop on your way to New Zealand.

2:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a short but fantastic trip. I am super giddy about vanilla vodka! yay! bring on the drinking.
tasha

5:57 p.m.  
Blogger shan said...

BRING ON DRINKING WITH ME :)
SO SOON!

10:11 p.m.  
Blogger S said...

We should make a "maritimes town" next to china town in Calgary.

Is there anyone left on pei?

1:16 a.m.  
Blogger Ash D said...

@Sally: No, Merrel's are only lesbian shoes if you also drive a Subaru Forester.

@Lucca:Yes I am quite giddy myself about my visit to Sask. Be prepared for the big SQUEEZE.

@Sheena: Yes, there is barely anyone left on PEI. But you know what, we'll all come back. Except maybe Tash.

8:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home