Friday, December 08, 2006

Hymns to the Silence

You really have to admire (and secretly giggle) at those strangers who deem it neccessary to tell you as much about their life in the shortest amount of time when you haven't even asked them a single question. Not to mention that you have never laid eyes on them before. They are few and far between, though I run into them momentarily. But nothing was like the guy in the line behind me at Timothy's yesterday.

I am yawning in the line up. The man says:
"Late night studying?"
"Nope. Late night of just not sleeping."
"Oh I know all about that. Working shift work for 13 years will do that to ya."
"Yes, it certainly will."
"Especially living in Korea for 4 years."
"Oh yeah?"

Maybe is was the way I questionly accented the "oh yeah?" But he continued to tell me about the wake-up calls he would receive from large, old Korean men coughing and spitting outside his window. He then went on explaining Korean terms for this practice and the direct translation. Meanwhile, I'm trying to opt between the smoked salmon bagel or the black forest ham, without coming across rude and uninterested. I mean, I'm all about talking to strangers, but when I'm hungry there is no time for talk.

And I must admit, after my lunch date plans with Christopher had fallen through, and my whole Thursday's To Do List was an utter and complete failure, I was no in mood for chat. I ate alone and hoped it to remain that way. Indeed I do applaud you Line-Up Man, as I would probably never start off my small talk that way. But giv'er if ya got'er.

3 Comments:

Blogger - said...

I think this falls into the category of the cabbie chatter. NOT INTERESTED! I am NOT a small talker nor do I divulge any information about myself to strangers. You don't know me so shut it.

All I have to say is "Climax by 9am!"

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger Ash D said...

Total climax by 9am.

11:16 a.m.  
Blogger shan said...

I am so rude at work with the ol' fellas who want to have the small talk. I am just more impatient as the years go on.

12:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home