Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Electric Ladyland

There it went. My first week of work. My first week of cottage life. My first beached whale sighting. I can't help but think that this place is going to have "The Shining" effect on me. You know, get cabin fever, go crazy, try to kill people. I joke. I like to imagine. But seriously.

Work is crazy. It's fun. It's high paced. Stressful at moments. Then it goes away. I serve fancy people their fancy food and they like me for it. I am far from fancy. These menial tasks are important to these people. I am here to make their vacation pleasant. Ha. And they like me for it.

There are many interesting characters out there. My favorite being Crazy Carl the groundskeeper. He's a recognized artist and potter and loves to play frisbee. Recovering alcoholic. He has a T-shirt that says "Communism, Athienism, and Free Love." He gave us a clay pot and an eagle feather for our cottage. And Krazy Kim who tells you her life story within the first five minutes of meeting her. Wide-eyed and never seems to blink. Talks rapid. There are no mysteries about Kim.

The cottage is great. It's so quiet and so dark at night. I've been reading like mad. Smoke doob on the front porch. Thoroughly enjoying the lone walks to the beach at night. Thoroughly enjoyed the whale. One would think I should be sleeping soundly, but my bed is less than accomodating. I can feel every individual spring. I need an egg crate. An egg crate!? An egg crate.

Well my time in town has been a hoot. It has included a mini pubcrawl with my Fruit Salad, a FABULOUS dress from How Bazaar, and Victoria Row goodness. My old friend Luke was home for a short visit and we had a glorious time. We got the old posse together and walked down to the UR Welcome for ice cream. I haven't done that in years. I drank beers, ate wings, and rode on a motorcycle. Like honestly, how come summer is so awesome?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWAT a great post!

The hotel is very much like the shinning. Red rum! Happy to have been a part of your week!

11:24 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, hotel was beautiful.

The Shirley's were damn impressed. Will have to go out again sometime soon to try the caribou.

You are really improving on the scone delivery technique. It is a skill that has to be practiced and refined.

Still waiting for my coke though.

2:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home